Drug use in Nevada is very similar to drug use in the rest of the country, on average about 3% of the population struggles with illicit drugs both in the country and in the state. The largest portion of people dependent on illegal substances are between the ages of 12 and 17. The average rate of drug addiction for people in this category is just over 11% in Nevada. In the U.S. 12 to 17 year olds use drugs under 10% of the time. Among residents that struggle with illicit drug addiction, only about 12% enroll in a rehabilitation program to overcome their addiction. This leaves roughly 88% of Nevada’s drug addicted residents untreated.

In Nevada the most popular drug abused by residents are stimulants. 36% of people enrolled in rehabilitation programs in the state said that stimulants were their primary reason for enrollment. Marijuana was mentioned by another 30% of patients. Heroin abuse was present in about 15% of people. Prescription pain-killers are the fourth most popular drug in Nevada at about 10%, and cocaine was the fifth most frequently cited drug at about 9%.

Get rehab help in Nevada for drug or alcohol abuse

Alcohol dependence in Nevada is significantly higher in Nevada than it is in the rest of the country. In the state, about 9.5% of residents are dependent on alcohol use. The national average for alcohol dependence is about 6.5%. In Nevada only 1% of people who abuse alcohol enroll in a treatment program. The vast majority of Nevada’s alcohol dependent population never find receive treatment.

Nevada has many options for those seeking help with rehabilitation from drug or alcohol addiction. In the state there are 77 facilities which offer recovery programs. Most of the facilities in the state are privately owned and operated but there are also several publicly funded and operated options. Among those enrolled in rehabilitation programs, about half abuse both drugs and alcohol, one third struggle with drugs only, and the other 17% struggle with alcohol only. Most of the centers in Nevada offer a mix of both addiction recovery services and other mental health services, 55 of the 77 locations in the state are run this way. The other 22 facilities offer treatment solely for those overcoming addictions.

Nevada Behavioral Health Resources

Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health
4150 Technology Way
2nd Floor
Carson City, NV 89706-2009
Phone Number: (775)-684-4200
Fax Number: (775)-684-4211
Web Site: http://www.health.nv.gov/